Re: reminiscing about Boston radio

On Mon, 5 May 1997, Dan Strassberg wrote:

> Are you POSITIVE? I seem to recall that it was first extended from the end
> of September to the end of October and, much later, the start was moved up.
> I recall protests about how Halloween occurred after the end of DST and it
> would have taken an extension of only one more week to make Haloween occur
> DURING DST. You're saying this didn't happen. Well, I won't swear that it
> did. And if it did, I sure don't know when it happened.

On further reflection, I do recall that until about the mid 1960s, each
state decided for itself when (and if) the time change would take place.
But so far as I can remember, it was always at the end of October, at
least in Massachusetts.  Having DST end on the last weekend of October
still makes Haloween occur in Standard Time, which would mean that the
complaints about it probably did happen (though I don't remember them).

  A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                                          617/367-0468
  15 Court Square                                       lawyer@world.std.com
  Boston, MA 02108-2573                        http://world.std.com/~lawyer/