Re: Inquiry: 1st with Rock

On Sun, 4 May 1997 NewHUC@aol.com wrote:

> Interesting:  it was always my impression that WTRY was one of the last in
> the rock sweepstakes.  They always seemed to be a "chicken rock" outlet until
> about 1960, and only went full blown rock until after WROW had their brief
> bout with rock in the late '50's as the "The Mighty Fine - 59".  I had also
> understood (again, correct me if I'm wrong) that WABY and WPTR were both
> playing rock and roll full time at some point during the fifties... but
> again, I was but a babe then...

WPTR was playing rock in 1955 and 1956.  I moved back to the Boston area
in May 1957, and sometime that fall, I discovered that I could get WPTR at
night and began listening.  By that time, they were the "New WPTR" with a
format similar to the "New WMEX" and the later "New WRKO."  And, probably,
a lot of other "new" stations around the country.

Now, the big question:  Is Erastus Corning still mayor of Albany? <g>

  A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                                          617/367-0468
  15 Court Square                                       lawyer@world.std.com
  Boston, MA 02108-2573                        http://world.std.com/~lawyer/