Re: Inquiry: 1st with Rock

On Sun, 4 May 1997 NewHUC@aol.com wrote:

> With all the interesting discussion about WORL and etc.; does anyone have the
> definitive answer about the first station to play rock and roll music  in the
> Boston area, both part and full time?  It seems that it may have been WORL or
> WCOP.  Being from the Albany, NY area, I recall folks stating that the old
> WOKO (1460) were the first to play rock for some part of the day in that
> area, that they were the first.  Anyone have any info?

Seems to me you have to define what is Rock & Roll.  When songs like "Rock
Around the Clock" started to get on the charts, the stations that played
the songs that were on the charts played them.  I do remember, when living
in the Albany area in the mid-1950s, that WOKO had an Elvis hour in the
evening, but most of the other stations played current hits, and that
included WPTR, WTRY, WOKO, WROW, etc.  WGY may have been the last to play
Rock & Roll, simply because, at least as I remember them, they tended to
carry a lot more of their network's programs (NBC) than the other
stations.

  A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                                          617/367-0468
  15 Court Square                                       lawyer@world.std.com
  Boston, MA 02108-2573                        http://world.std.com/~lawyer/