Re: WKVT, WVAY to be sold

At 12:54 AM 5-3-1997 -0400, SteveOrdinetz wrote:
>At 11:29 AM 5/2/97 -0400, Doug Bassett wrote:
>
>>One quote that I *must*  add:
>>
>>>"There will be nothing compelling these stations to bring an interesting
>>and exciting product
>>>to the listener, because you'll have three stations playing the same bloody
>>thing."
>>>-Ian Harrison
>>>WEQX program director
>>

>Like WEQX is anything to brag about.
>
>Last time I heard them they sounded like every other alternative rock
>"End/Edge/Planet/Channel Z" on the dial.

How many "End/Edge/Planet/Channel Z" type stations are on the dial in
Northern New England? In Southern Vermont in particular? Only one I can
think of off the top of my head, and it's WEQX. So, in my opinion, WEQX is
delivering an interesting product to the listeners in their coverage area,
and retains a very loyal following. Somehow this station got voted as the
number one radio station in the country at least once in an anual Rolling
Stone magazine reader's poll, so they must be doing something right.

As a frequent listener of the station, I can say with some authority that
they sound in no way like any other station on the dial from where I sit.
They have a _very_ extensive play list, and don't beat particular songs to
death. WEQX emphasizes the music that they play, and does not bother with
blatant self promotion (i.e. they don't call themselves the Edge or Channel
Z et al, which IMHO is annoying) that some other stations feel the need to
do on a regular basis.

My only complaint about WEQX is the less than great signal they put into
Brattleboro.

I am curious, however, why the Brattleboro Reformer devoted the last third
of the story of the KVT/VAY sale to WEQX...but who knows why they do
anything...  :)

Doug Bassett
West Brattleboro, Vt.