Re: WVBF

>Date: Sat, 03 May 1997 01:16:28
>To: "PETER GEORGE, N1GGP" <PGEORGE@WELLESLEY.EDU>
>From: SteveOrdinetz <steveord@xtdl.com>
>Subject: Re: WVBF
>
>At 07:42 PM 4/28/97 -0500, Peter George wrote:
>>     WVBF was some player in the market !!!  Formerly WKOX-FM until the
>>fall of 1971, this station had probably one of the worst FM stereo signals
>>when it transmitted from the WKOX (1190) stick in Framingham.  Finally
>>when Fairbanks bought it in 1970, they moved the FM site to Needham, MA.
>>The signal was like night and day !!! '
>
>Funny thing, here in N.H. the signal deteriorated when they did that.  In
the old 'KOX-FM days they came in loud and clear on any crappy old clock
radio, after the move reception was much iffier.

>Maybe my recollection is flakey, but I never remember them being much of a
player...always thought of them as a 2-share station, even in their heyday.
As I recall the general tightening up and the handle switch to F-105 was
their first attempt to be a serious player in the market.  They also seemed
to have switched to playing music from carts at about that time...no more of
the horribly cue-burnt vinyl that was so prevalent there pre-'77 or so!