more about payola in Boston

Since questions about Payola came up recently, I thought I would go back
into my files and refresh my memory.  I had recalled that Norm Prescott,
Alan Dary, and Dave Maynard were called before the Congressional Committee
in February of 1960. But I didn't remember who else was called (there were
at least 10 people from Boston who were asked to appear, I believe...).
Among the names which came up were Don Masters, who back then was with WHIL
and would later be a record promoter; Bob Clayton of the old Boston Ballroom
on WHDH; Joe Smith, who had been with WTAO and was now with WILD (he would
eventually become a record company exec); George W. (Bill) Givens, station
manager of WORL; Paul G. O'Friel, General Manager of WBZ; and several Boston
record distributors, such as Don Dumont and Harry Carter...  Clayton was
totally exonerated, if my memory serves me.  I don't think Arnie Ginsberg
was ever implicated either.  Norm Prescott admitted under oath that he had
taken roughly $10,000 from record companies.

Dave Maynard admitted receiving close to $7,000 plus a new Buick, but
claimed he didn't know it was illegal to receive a new car from a record
promoter (!).  He admitted he may have used 'poor judgement' in accepting
such gifts, but he thought the gifts were simply an expression of gratitude
from people he had done business with... after his appearance, one of the
representatives on the committee termed Maynard's testimony "less than
frank" and questioned Dave's honesty... It's amazing that Uncle Dave managed
to emerge from all of this relatively unscathed, while many of the other
d.j.'s from Boston and elsewhere who were called before the Committee were
simply fired by their stations...
Also, around the late 1959/ early 1960 time period, an amusing article from
Variety noted "An adult music trend has been building in Boston.  Shifts in
program formatting towards good music (sic) and elimination of rock have
been going on... Three stations have banned rock entirely.  One never played
it; one limits its play.  Five continue to play it. Banning rock are WEZE,
WILD and WNAC.  WEEI didn't and doesn't play it.  WORL limits it to its
after-school broadcast hours.  WBZ, WHDH, WTAO, WCOP, and WMEX play it.
WEZE started its new format on October 19th, of album-type show tunes and
permanent hits (sic).  Anonymous announcers spin the platters.  Rock has
been banned at WEZE for a year and a half."  Variety, 9 December 1959
[Donna says--- do any of you recall WEZE playing rock?  I sure don't...]

The Variety article concluded with the news that "...WILD replaced its three
daily jockey shows on November 1 with the "Musical Hall of Fame", made up of
the best pop tunes of past and present.  Decision to change the format was
made early in September, Nelson Noble, owner of the station, reported.  The
three jockeys-- Bill Marlowe, Stan Richards, and Joe Smith, hired a year ago
at salaries over $300 a week, were notified that their contracts would not
be renewed."

So there you are, from the files of various newspapers of the time (and a
couple of interviews I did a while back).  I hope it brought back a few
memories to some of you who grew up here...