RE: WVBF

Roger Kirk posted:

>As a long-time listener to radio (and most formats i.e. Top 40, Soul,
>Jazz, Rock, Dance, Rap, Reggae, Disco, Big Band, Oldies, Alternative &
>Country), I still find many people refer to Country Music (in Boston) as
>painful.  Why?  Is this personal musical taste or commentary on a
>station's bad approach to a legitimate format?

I think a little of both.  Country has, in Boston, a small but rather loyal
audience.  These folks are the ones who have suffered through poor
executions of the format over the years (one example being WBOS's attempt
to broaden their audience by proclaiming they play 'country without the
twang').  The rest of the general audience seems to at best ignore country
music, for any number of reasons (based, perhaps in tradition?).

On the other hand, we saw that Boston cannot sustain two country stations.
IMHO, both WKLB and WBCS were rather good executions of the format, but
they were simply trying to share a very small pie, and neither could
succeed doing that.

Ed Hennessy