Re: WVBF

At 02:44 AM 4/29/97 +0000, you wrote:
>On Mon, 28 Apr 1997, PETER GEORGE, N1GGP wrote:
>>      One major headache for WVBF was the WKOX/1190 (now 1200) tower had
>> a tendency to fall after every snowstorm.  The 'VBF STL was mounted
>> on the KOX tower.  NO STL, NO 'VBF.  One time in 1976 when the tower
>> fell, WBZ loaned 'VBF their "Incredible Broadcasting Machine" or
>
>Didn't their tower fall again during Hurricane Gloria in 1985?  I heard
>that it fell right through the studio.  What did they use for a studio
>while repairs were made?
>
>Alexander R Svirsky  N1PRW    _______-~,    University of Massachusetts
>asvirsky@student.umass.edu   /_______ {     __________Amherst__________
>                                     \,}_)
I believe that WKOX has lost three towers on that site. One collapsed in an
ice storm. The one you refer to was only a few weeks old. It was one of the
two 440-ft towers that KOX uses in its night array. One result of the
collapse of that particular tower was that the start of WKOX's fulltime
service was delayed and the station started operating at night using reduced
power from one tower. In those days, 1200 had not yet turned into a
graveyard channel and you could pick up WKOX 15 miles away from Framingham
despite the reduced power. Now, the full kilowatt only takes the signal as
far as Route 128--and WKOX is directionalized towards 128.

It just occurred to me tha the mess on 1200 in the Northeast at night might
be the result of an attempt by the FCC to re-create history:-) Before NARBA
in 1940, what is now 1230 was 1200. Of course, there weren't 200-odd
stations on the frequency (probably more like 30 or 40). But the graveyard
channels were STILL pretty noisy at night. So now we have a 1200 that is
probably noisier than it was in 1939.

(617) 558-4205; Fax (617) 928-4205