Re: WORL (was 1957 airstaffs)

On Wed, 23 Apr 1997, Donna Halper wrote:

> Babson really did sell it in 1935.  Three guys bought it, Eynan/Phalen and
> somebody whose name I forget; it moved severa times and then was being run
> by Arde Bulova and Harold LaFount.  The station lost its license in the late
> 40s because the FCC decided Bulova and LaFount had done some nasty stuff at
> their New York station (!) so they yanked the licenses of their other
> station too.  that is part of what got the Boston media so excised-- the
> Boston staff had done nothing wrong and was being punished for the sins of
> their group owner...

Alice Branigan, in her radio nostalgia column in Popular Communications a
few years ago, said that WORL illegally operated unlicensed for a few
years into maybe the early 1950s, then was shut down when the FCC found
out.  She seemed to think that was the end of the station.  That didn't
sound right, since I knew very well that WORL lasted well into the 60s,
became WRYT, etc.  So how did the station get its license back?

  A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                                          617/367-0468
  15 Court Square                                       lawyer@world.std.com
  Boston, MA 02108-2573                        http://world.std.com/~lawyer/