Re: WORL (was 1957 airstaffs)

At 04:34 PM 4/22/97 +0000, you wrote:
>The WORL/WROL/WRYT story is actually quite interesting, and sometime when I
>have the ambition, I'll write it up (some of you already know portions of
>it).  I've been checking back through old yearbooks-- and by 1966, the calls
>are listed as WRYT, so we know it happened sometime before 1966 at least...
>I'll check further.

Yes, and the original calls were WBSO, weren't they? This was when the
station was owned by Roger Babson and had its TX site on the campus of
Babson College in Wellesley. The station lost its license in the mid 40s for
an unauthorized transfer of control. I think by the time it lost its
license, it was WORL and had its studios in the Myles Standish Hotel in
Kenmore Sq (now a BU dorm). Then around 1948, after WHDH moved its TX to
Needham and increased to 50 kW, WORL resurfaced--really a new station, with
new owners, and the old call letters, broadcasting from new studios and
transmitting from a new site on the old frequency, but with more power. The
new TX site was quite a ways from the old one. It was the former WHDH site
on the Lynn Marsh Rd in Saugus. The studios were not far from the last old
ones though. The new studios, like the last old ones, were in Kenmore Sq, at
(I believe) 719 Beacon St--a site that is now within the Mass Turnpike
Extension.

Now a question that is unlikely ever to be answered. The never-built AM 650
in Clinton was to be WBSO. Did the owners of this CP take those calls from
the old WORL or were they unware of the rather sordid (and certainly
unlucky) history of their chosen calls?

(617) 558-4205; Fax (617) 928-4205