RE: WORL (was 1957 airstaffs)

KEVIN VAHEY wrote:

  I can recall ads that they had when the changed the call letters that
were on buses and the subway. It was a trumpet with WORL is a small plain
font by the mouthpiece and when it came thru the trumpet it came out a
larger font WRYT. Seems to me they did not go religion right away.

I remember those ads, now that you mention it.  Transmitter trivia:

The transmitter building (which, in 1967, hung precariously over the
banks of the Pines River in Saugus) must have been quite a showcase at
one time.  The transmitter was not simply a series of metal cabinets, but
metal fronts to a very large room containing the power transformers and
variacs.  All equipment was arranged and wired for aesthetic appeal,
because the end of the room not only had a wooden 4-panel door for
access, but the rest of the wall was a large picture window for viewing.
  There was also a primitive studio i.e. a mixing board, turntable(s) and
a microphone.  The remainder of the building was a workshop as well as an
apartment (for the chief engineer?).

In the middle of the asphalt tile floor in the main room (foyer?), there
was an inlaid design (again asphalt tiles) of a world map (i.e. a globe)
and the call letters WORL.

All in all, a lot of effort went into making the place quite a bit more
than just a Transmitter Shack.

I wish I had had presence of mind enough to take pictures.