RE: FM DX.

someone wrote:
>>Is the fascination with the transmitter location a common trait among
>>radio hobbyists?  How many of us drive around to transmitter sites and

I'm glad you said it, and not I.  If I said it, some people would say it's
typical of women not to be interested in transmitters (obviously, those
people never met Eunice Randall, who built her own station way back in the
early 20s, and who helped keep the late lamented WGI on the air).  Actually,
I think many guys are equally interested in the memorabilia and the
announcers-- but on a list with many engineers, I expect technical
discussion to break out periodically (and they do...)  I feel fortunate to
be on this list, however-- there are as many non-technical (formats,
announcers, management changes, etc) discussions as there are talks about
e-skip, transmitters, and equipment.  I find the exchange of ideas to be
fairly balanced.  Btw, I do find some transmitters and tower arrays worthy
of discussion-- there have been some rather unique locations over the
years... I read with great interest in an early issue of FM Magazine about
the building of Shepard's station atop Mount Washington (W1XER) and how the
engineers got snowed in and couldn't get off the mountain for two weeks...
or how about the time in 1954 during the hurricane when a large portion of
the WBZ tower fell on several people's cars and part of the building...
luckily, no-one was hurt-- although to look at the photos, you would be
amazed that no injuries resulted...