RE: The Boston Globe's TV/Radio "Reporte

On Fri, 18 Apr 1997, Roger Kirk wrote:

> Who is the proper person at the Globe unto whom we can/should voice our
> discontent?  How should we voice our discontent?
>
> A. e-mail?
> B. snail-mail?
> C. phone?
> D. all of the above?

I've sent e-mail to ombud@globe.com.  Though I've only gotten an automated
response, I've sometimes seen the results in the paper in the form of
better reporting.  I've also phoned the ombudsman and sometimes even been
quoted in his column.

> Somebody perhaps should compile a tidy list of the more egregious errata
> for presentation to the complaint-meister at the Globe-haus.  If we're
> going to complain, then we'd better be very correct or they'll dismiss
> us.

That last statement is correct.  But I'd complain right now about this
screwup and add that it's not the first time.  Then complain about each
subsequent screwup.

> If the "inaccuracies" in her column are frequent and serious, it would
> seem likely that somebody, somewhere, somehow would have pointed them out
> to her on one or more occasions.  If they did, then she's ignoring them.
>  If not, then the majority of the readers apparently just don't care.

Not necessarily.  The majority of her readers probably don't know as much
as we do and may not be aware of the mistakes.  After all, we are the ones
most familiar with the field, and none of us have complained yet, have we?

> As a "News Professional" with a supposed interest in Radio/TV - wouldn't
> it seem "logical" that she would (should?) be a "subscriber" to this
> newsgroup?  As a person formerly in radio, but now working in Computers,
> I had little difficulty finding out about this newsgroup (and others) -
> surely a Boston newspaper reporter with a "nose for news" and an Internet
> connection can do the same.

Just how would one find out about this mailing list (not "newsgroup")?  I
found out about the list when it started because I already was in touch
with Scott and a few others.  That was because I had listened to LTAR.  I
found LTAR by accident, listening to the car radio while waiting to pick
up my sister's kids from Hebrew School (I had my car radio set for 740
mainly for CBL).

How about someone sending snail mail to her and tell her about this list
and how to subscribe?  And tell her about the Archives, too, while you're
at it.  And LTAR.  And NERW.  I'll be willing to bet she doesn't know
about any of these things.

  A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                                          617/367-0468
  15 Court Square                                       lawyer@world.std.com
  Boston, MA 02108-2573                        http://world.std.com/~lawyer/