Re: FCC Lenient on station ID?

and A. Joseph Ross, J.D. wrote:
>Howcome WCRB identifies all its translators?<

Clarification: Per current FCC rules, 47 CFR Section 74.1284(c), a
translator may optionally be identified by EITHER automatic Morse code
keying (call sign, at least once each hour) OR by an announcement on the
primary station being rebroadcast, at certain specified times of day
(minimum of three such times daily for 24-hour stations), giving call sign
and location.  Absent such an arrangement with the primary station, the
translator, unless of extremely low output power, generally is required to
perform automatic self-identification in Morse.  Per 74.1284(e), other
methods may be specified by the Commission.  I seem to recall that
commercially-built translators can be ordered without the built-in
identifier module, at a cost savings.

Rick Levy