MIX 98.5

<<On Sat, 12 Apr 1997 19:27:46 -0400, "Mario Gonzalez Jr." <mariogon@tiac.net> said:

> I don't listen to this station much, but are they playing different music
> than they did, say, a few months ago?  It seems softer than it was before,
> a little like WBOS.

Interesting that you say that, since you seem to have procisely
opposite the sense of ``softer'' that I do.  Certainly, WBOS and WBMX
have gotten closer, but my impression (not being a regular listener to
either station) is that Mix has turned in truth into what we always
knew it was---a hit radio station---and 'BOS has been following behind
sweeping up all the discards.  Frankly, the only thing ``new'' I can
detect in the current Mix incarnation is that they have continued to
change the liners every six weeks.

You can see the same effect in most major markets, where it's perhaps
more pronounced because they lost all their traditional CHR stations,
and it's the Mix-equivalent that's now moving to fill that niche.
This is particularly spectacular in New York City, which went from
having no real CHR stations to having three, in the course of a year.
(Of course, in the process, they lost an AC and two nebulous
``alternative''s.)  It's what in the computing world we would call a
``Cycle of Reincarnation'', where various sorts of music get pushed
out to their own separate formats and then get reabsorbed by the
mass-appeal stations a few years later.

amazed to hear the jock actually hold the mike open for 45 seconds in
a row...

- -GAWollman

- --