Must-carry rule

Earlier, Doug Broda quoted a few passages from the FCC statement regarding
local coverage, and I think these three could provide grounds to boot any
home shopping station off of cable. (Here in Boston, we get the two
national HSC stations, plus channels 50, 62, and 66. And I remember the
early days of home shopping when stations like 27, 38, and 68 picked up
that stuff too.)

>(II) whether the television station provides coverage or other
>local service to such community;

How can a station provide a local service to the community when it is being
offered on two other UHF stations and when its "studios" aren't being used.

>(III) whether any other television station that is eligible to be
>carried by a cable system in such community in fulfillment of the
>requirements of this section provides news coverage of issues of concern to
>such community or provides carriage or coverage of sporting and other
>events of interest to the community; and

Unless Candlepins count, for example, then I don't see any news and sports
on these stations.

>(IV) evidence of viewing patterns in cable and noncable
>households      within the areas served by the cable system or systems in
>such community.

All full-time home shopping stations have no rating. 'Nuff said.

Sean Smyth
Smyth Sports Enterprises
10 Linley Terrace
Boston, Mass. 02127
617/268-7012
Metropolitan Boston's leader in local sports broadcasting