Hartford FM

Marc Casey posts more Hartford radio info:

[other stations snipped]

>that time, and even today, to an extent, Meriden
>wasn't a suburb of Hartford or New Haven but a sizable city 50,000, in
>its own right. I believe Meriden still has a daily paper.

Yes, the Record-Journal.  Note that most cities with at least 50,000
population tend to have (or had) a station allocation.  That explains why
Hamden, a definite suburb of New Haven, has 1220 (now WQUN, and has a
looong history of calls, including WCDQ, WOMN, WSCR), and 101.3, WCKI (and
WQAQ, but that's in a different category as a class D).  Same is true in
Boston, but to a smaller extent due to the larger metro area--WXKS Everett,
WXKS-FM Medford, WCRB Waltham, WBOS Brookline.

>Oops!
>WM??  104.1 Modern Rock  (Waterbury)

That's WMRQ, formerly WIOF and WYSR.  I thought they were out in Prospect,
CT near Waterbury, on what I think may be called Prospect Hill, and
possibly on the WTXX tower...

Ed Hennessy