Pirates

Shawn Mamros mamros@mit.edu
Thu Jun 2 10:17:35 EDT 2011

>I would assume that Part 15 would be Part 15 for everyone. You  give one
>person a pass then everyone should get one. What would prevent any of  these
>other services from interfering or producing spurs in the aircraft band?  It
>is not as if they did any sort of formal research on a  frequency?

I don't think the Part 15 rules specify usage so much as transmitter
power.  Someone earlier in the thread posted the TPO limit for Part 15
- I forget exactly what it was, but I'm pretty sure it's much less than
1 Watt.  At any event, it's much less than what would be needed to cause
any noticeable interference on the aircraft band.

Some pirates use Part 15 transmitters (legal) coupled with a power amp
to boost the signal strength (which makes it not legal).  That might be
why that one pirate was saying he's "Part 15" when the range of his
signal leaves no doubt that he is not.

>Well you can get a KW transmitter on eBay too. It is contrary  to their own
>TOS Agreement but they are all still listed there.

Why couldn't a licensed broadcaster sell a transmitter on eBay to another
licensed broadcaster?  Happens all the time, I'm sure.  For that matter,
is possession of a high-power transmitter without a license for same
actually illegal if it isn't being used?

-Shawn