RE: Changes at WRKO? (VB, Michael Savage)

--- Paul Hopfgarten <paul@03038.com> wrote:
> This move may make sense....
>
> If Sean Hannety mentions his 9PM Show on Fox
> Newschannel (obviously, I mean
> during the 1st hour of the rebroadcast), and 'RKO
> listeners say "oh yea!"
> and tunr off the radio and turn ON the TV, that may
> be a reason that they're
> turning away from Hannety.

VB got an email from someone who'd heard the Michael
Savage promo and was wondering what was up. VB said
that as of next Monday, WRKO will run Michael Savage
from 7 to 10 pm, followed by VB's show from 10 pm
to 1 am (VB gets an extra hour). "Sean Hannity is
gone," he said, "because we wanted to have a show
that was 'live', not tape delayed."

Sean Hannity's show originates from WABC, weekdays
from 3 to 6 pm. Of course, WRKO is the flagship for
Howie Carr, so that meant they ran Hannity on
delay from 8 to 11 pm. Now Hannity is gone from
'RKO, even though he has the second most popular
show in the nation. (Rush is #1, then Hannity,
with Dr. Laura and Stern tied for third and Savage
in fourth.)

Why would they want to dump such a "hot" show? Maybe
it costs too much for Entercom to run it. Or for
some reason Hannity might not be doing boffo
ratings for 'RKO. ('RKO will also dump the syndicated
Jim Cramer, whose money-talk show has been running at
7 pm).

I'd expect WTKK to pick up Hannity off the waiver
wire (wouldn't expect WBZ to mess with their
Brudnoy/ Sullivan/ Leveille line up). If WTKK does
pick up Hannity, I would expect them to also do it
on tape delay, as they have their own guy (Jay
Severin) in the 3 pm slot.