Re: WBZ Response

At 12:21 PM 11/5/2002, Casey, Peter J wrote:
>Roger,
>
>With regard to your email to Kim Tunnicliffe here at WBZ and your postings
>elsewhere permit me a moment to respond to you.  I thought I'd go back to
>Sunday which is the time you referenced in your email and check our newscast
>run downs to see if all the stories on the governors race were what your
>claimed.  Despite what you may think there is no policy to mention one
>candidate first second or fifth.
(snip)

Well said and researched, Peter!

BTW - I should add that from a psychological perspective there is not a
clear advantage to being listed first (Primacy Effect) vs. being listed
last (Recency Effect).  The disadvantage is to be listed in the
middle.    But being first and thus associated in voter's heads as being
more important (somehow) vs. being listed last and thus be the most
recently-mentioned....both are equally likely to be remembered by Joe Public.

FWIW - we ran a poll on our (Allston-Brighton Free Radio) website asking
who our listeners would vote for if the election was tomorrow.  Since the
way the poll was set up (it was a free one from htmlgear.lycos.com) made it
that the first choice was automatically selected and the voter had to
change it to select someone else....I put the first "choice" to read
"(please pick a candidate from the list below)"  I hoped that would make it
so no one candidate got a "first in the list" boost.  Good thing I
did...nearly 5% of all responses (over 400!) were "please pick a candidate
from the list below".   There must be a small but strenuously stupid
contingent of web surfers visiting ABfree's site.  :-)   If you're
wondering, the end result was Jill Stein eeking out a win over Romney, with
O'Brien a distant third and Howell/Johnson barely on the map.

Aaron "Bishop" Read       aread@speakeasy.net
Fried Bagels Consulting   www.friedbagels.com
AOL-IM: ReadAaron         Brighton, MA 02135