Re: WLNG-FM (was WCBS-FM 101.1..)

<<On Wed, 4 Nov 1998 12:38:48 -0500, nuhuc@juno.com (Rick Kelly) said:

> 3khz phone line is unacceptable on an FM station.)  The talk about the
> sponsoring merchant is excessive (again, to my mind talking about the
> merchant for seven minutes straight, then playing a jingle, reading a
> weather forecast, and then talking about the merchant for another seven
> minutes) is not listenable -- unless of course, you're the merchant!)

Sounds like you've missed the point.

What radio geeks like about WLNG is that it's a time capsule.  Sure,
it could be made as bland and boring as every other radio station on
Long Island, but there wouldn't be much point in doing it.  WLNG is in
fact commercially quite successful; ISTR it's the number-one or
number-two biller in the eastern Suffolk (Riverhead) market.  Clearly
people Riverhead and Sag Harbor /do/ listen (despite whether you think
they can or not), or else they would not be selling the amount of
advertising they are.

- -GAWollman

- --