Re: WLNG-FM (was WCBS-FM 101.1..)

SteveOrdinetz wrote:

> Jay Fink wrote:
>

>>LNG is certainly in a league all their own.  Where else on the dial would
>>ever hear a segue from The Singing Nun to Whitesnake? <gg>
>>

>When does all this compelling programming occur on WLNG?  I've been seeing
>someone lately who lives in the New Haven, Conn. area, so I get down that
>way fairly regularly.  All I've ever heard on WLNG is syndicated
>programming in the afternoon, or a swap-shop type show in the morning.
>Where she lives you can't get WLNG, so I'm limited to catching them for 15
>min or so while passing thru Hartford...they just sound like a bad small
>market station to me.

Oh it *is* small market radio, to be sure!  LNG's been cranking out the same
"old hit new hit" format for 35 years.  They also make a load of money.

I suppose to some ears by today's standards they sound "bad".  The morning
show, for example, still includes sponsors who do "phoners" announcing their
latest sale, client-read spots and PSA's, pet patrol, funeral announcements,
"non-scheduled" news with the old teletype sfx, jingles a la WMGM and early
WABC, reverb, over-processed audio...the lot.

The current lineup:

5:30-10:Gary Sapiane
10:05-11-Swap N' Shop
11-3- Syndicated Programming
(Good Time Oldies Review,Keeping The 70's Alive,
Mickey B's Jukebox Revue)

3-5 Rusty Potz (SM)
5-6p Chris Brinka
6-mid Holly C
overnights:Chuck Mackin

Weekends:Paul Sidney(GM) (remotes, usually 2 a day), Don Thompson

Compelling? Perhaps not for some.  Some may consider the station a joke. I
say they're fun!   Isn't that what radio should be?

My .02,

Jay Fink
Northeast One Stop
Albany NY