Re: WMMW sold

>Howard Glazer wrote on Fri Sept 11:
<< Today's Meriden, CT, Record-Journal reports the sale of WMMW(AM) 1470 to
> Buckley Broadcasting. Buckley plans to convert the leased,
> locally-programmed Spanish station to a relay transmitter for WDRC's
> standards programming.
>  >>
>Mike Hemeon added:
>This station sold for $630,000 (for those interested)

        I once heard that except for Florida, Connecticut has on average
one of the oldest populations of any state--and an older population with
plenty of money. Does this, maybe, explain why Buckley Broadcasting, which
has a lot of experience and a record of success, has just added a fourth
transmitter to relay adults standards -- music of your life type
programming -- throughout central Connecticut? With all the talk that
advertisers don't want this older audience, so that this format is a loser,
this seems to go against that. Does anyone have thoughts?
        WDRC has local jocks most of the day and they have each subsidiary
station set up so that a brief automated voice ID for that station plays at
the end of each song, before the jock comes on. And they coordinate it so
the automation is the voice of the jock on the shift at that time. It
sounds pretty good. They also do local cutaways for ads and, at least for
Torrington, some local news. WDRC (AM)'s ratings are pretty decent,
although since I don't have access to the dayparts, I've always wondered
how much of that was loaded on by Brad Davis, the morning guy who mostly
does talk and has been a fixture in the market since he did the local
version of American Bandstand on TV 35 years ago. At the same time, WWCO in
Waterbury went way up in the recent ratings. But I'm off the subject,
really, because the issue always seems to be that the ratings don't matter
if the advertisers won't buy the demographic. Apparently, Buckley thinks
there's money to be made here.