WNDS/WBZ alliance [The REAL STORY]

> >"Good eeeeveeening!"...Hitchcock isn't the only
> >"Al" to throw that phrase about...wonder if CBS
> >wants to buy/lease/affiliate with WNDS? You'll
> >remember the attempted CBS affiliate in Concord,NH--
> >WNHT-TV 21...maybe CBS would like to get Ch. 50
> >to be a CBS affiliate, and have a New-Hampshire-
> >based newscast which would also be part of a
> >"New England News Exchange"-type setup with
> >WBZ. Just an idea. It could happen.

CBS has always wanted more coverage in NH.  (After all they *do* have
their own ABC affilliate.)  As someone mentioned Ch. 21 was a CBS affill
for about a week.  And there was some talk that CBS was going to
affilliate with a *cable system* in NH for better penetration.  This
woulda been a first...to bypass an over-the-air station to feed CATV
directly.  CBS contended that they were doing this as a last resort.....
as there were no stations to affilliate with.

So, rather than actually get CBS programs on the air.....it might be an
arrangement to get some CBS "spots" on the air in NH.

At the time, I thought this was due to Channel 7 having an inferior
signal of the big 3 in Boston.

While this may be announced as a "news sharing" arrangement.  This may
actually be a "spot sales" situation....Where WBZ could sell more reach
by placing some spots on WNDS' newscast, etc.

Just my $.02