WSRO AM 650 HD

Garrett Wollman wollman@bimajority.org
Tue Mar 14 21:47:18 EDT 2023

<<On Tue, 14 Mar 2023 02:40:17 -0400, A Joseph Ross <joe@attorneyross.com> said:

> Is it still the rule that a station which is dark for longer than a year
> gets deleted?  If so, given the delays that can happen in estate
> administration, I hope they manage to get the stations sold before the
> deadline.

The license of a a station that is silent for more than one year (or,
as Congress put it, "twelve consecutive months") expires automatically
as a matter of law.  This was in the Telecommunications Act of 1996
and I have not heard that Congress has changed its mind in the past 27
years.  However, Congress did provide that "the Commission may extend
or reinstate such station license if the holder of the station license
prevails in an administrative or judicial appeal, the applicable law
changes, or for any other reason to promote equity and fairness." 47
U.S.C. section 312(g).  As a practical matter, the FCC rarely
exercises this discretion.

-GAWollman