Still amazed at WSRO's Digital quality!

Rob Landry 011010001@interpring.com
Sat May 7 09:36:04 EDT 2022

Hybrid mode spews garbage over 30 KHz of the dial. It's also harder to
pull off, requiring a lot more bandpass flattening than all-digital. And
it doesn't sound as good; the stations I've heard running hybrid have all
sounded "watery", like a 24 kbps MP3 stream.

A few years ago, my car was in the shop and they offered me a rental for
the day. I punched up WBZ for "traffic on the 3s" and immediately realized
the car had HD Radio from the "watery" audio I heard.

Now, on WSRO everything is linear up to the importer/exporter; there's no
STL, as the studio and transmitter are co-located, and the only network
content is from WCN, which I set up, so there's no additional lossy
compression being introduced. That helps.

Rob