WHDH Sports Talk Show circa 1986

billohno@gmail.com billohno@gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 19:49:53 EDT 2022

I was blessed to be around ‘HDH at that time. I had opportunities to tech the board a few times during Eddie and the talk that followed (Mike Miller/ Sean McDonough/ Dapper O’Neil (who called me “2-Ls”) and others, as well as very memorable Paul Benzaquin (such a gentleman) moments on the overnight shift.

Eddie once came in beforehand to master control with a shopping bag full of sandwiches for the crew, guests (and anyone who wanted one) “lovingly made by the Fabulous Judy.” The one I grabbed—Eddie looks at me and says, “You do know that one is tongue... You might want to try again.” (I never did find out how much of a sucker I was at that moment.) The ham on rye was a better choice.

Eddie made sure we had a dedicated cart machine with a cash register bell sound effect. I remember it was a solo rack mounted cart machine on the right hand side. Anytime somebody said “first time collar” we were to ring the register sfx instantly over.

The atmosphere in that 2-hours was very upbeat. Eddie worked the jammed lines like the pro who he was. He made the connection between the caller and the guys around the table seamless. Oh, and they talked sports, too.

Bill O’Neill