WBCN, Channel-13, and the old Hancock tower

A Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Mon Nov 29 01:59:10 EST 2021

I remember WRGB's move.  We moved from Allston to Albany just after
Thanksgiving 1953.  At that time, WRGB, channel 4, was the only VHF
station and the only one we could watch.  Albany's first UHF station,
WROW-TV, channel 41, was on for limited hours, but WRGB, nominally an
NBC affiliate, carried programs from all four networks, sometimes at
strange times.  CBS's Ed Sullivan Show (originally called "Toast of the
Town") was shown on Friday evening.  Bishop Fulton J. Sheen's Tuesday
night show on DuMont was on Sunday afternoon, as was Jack Benny (CBS).
Those shows were by kinescope and were often a couple of weeks late.  I
seem to remember some Christmas shows in mid-January.

This also sometimes produced some unintended humor.  One time the WRGB
announcer said "The following is a kinescope recording."  This was
immediately followed by the TV show starting with someone shouting "Live
from Hollywood!"  My sister and I thought that was awfully funny.

--
A. Joseph Ross, J.D. · 1340 Centre Street, Suite 103 · Newton, MA 02459
617.367.0468 · http://www.attorneyross.com