RIP Al Perry - former GM of WBCN

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Fri Nov 26 08:56:48 EST 2021

You're correct in your recollections - WCRX 102.1 in Springfield came on
the air 3/15/67, according to the FCC history cards. The studio (such as
it was) was at the Sheraton Motor Inn on Chestnut Street, and the
transmitter was (and has always remained) at the WWLP-TV site on Provin
Mountain.

WCRB only ran WCRX for five years. It was sold to the owners of WTYM
1600 in 1972.

The 101.5 Providence saga is longer and more interesting. T. Mitchell
Hastings put it on the air in 1955 with 20 kW from Jerimoth Hill near
the CT state line. It was WTMH then, before becoming WXCN in 1957 (and
apparently WPCN for a few weeks before changing back to WXCN). It moved
to Neutaconkanut Hill in Johnston in 1962.

Mitch lost the station in bankruptcy in 1963, with the bankruptcy
trustees selling it to WCRB in 1964. It was WCRQ for four years, then
was sold to WLKW(AM) in 1968, becoming WLKW-FM.