When did FM become mainstream in Boston - Re: RIP Al Perry - former GM of WBCN

Rob Landry 011010001@interpring.com
Fri Nov 26 13:36:29 EST 2021

On Thu, 25 Nov 2021, A Joseph Ross wrote:

> Yes, but FM was probably more popular on college campuses than elsewhere in
> the mid-1960s.  Having matriculated at UMass (Amherst) in 1963, I thought the
> popularity of FM had to do with the fact that we had a student-operated
> station.  While many dorms had some sort of carrier-current transmission of
> WMUA, many students had FM radios by then.

Yet almost all of the ads on WHRB were for their carrier-current AM;
indeed, they and the other Ivy League college stations formed "The Ivy
Network" to represent them to aad agencies. The Ivy Network was run out of
WYBC at Yale, according to what I was told, and eventually died an
agonizing death in the early 1970s. WHRB's carrier-curret AM wnt away in
1973.

Rob