When did FM become mainstream in Boston - Re: RIP Al Perry - former GM of WBCN

Kevin Vahey kvahey@gmail.com
Thu Nov 25 04:36:50 EST 2021

Joe - FM in the mid-'60s was niche radio.

I had a cousin that became a top-tier banker in Boston who spent a
fortune on a home system to listen to WKOX-FM 105.7 and would become a
major sponsor on WJIB.

We had the pure college stations WERS, WBUR, WTBS, and commercial WHRB.

WBOS 92.9 found a niche playing Broadway albums,  WHIL-FM 107.9 had a
loyal country audience.

WXHR 96.9, WGBH 89.7, WCRB 102.5, WBCN 104.1, and WBZ 106.7 tried
combinations of classical and jazz.

WHDH 94.5, WCOP 100.7, and WEEI 103.3 didn't do much of anything until
the FCC ordered at least 12 hours a day separate from AM. WHDH did air
Bruins or Celtics games when there was a conflict with AM.

WLLH at 99.5 also attracted a Boston audience simulcasting AM Top-40.
and then there was the sleeping giant in Plymouth at 99.1 WPLM. That
became important in the '70s.

I pinpoint the mainstream shift to FM to1976 when the Red Sox moved to
WMEX ( later WITS ) 1510. WMEX then leased time on WWEL 107.9 for
night games and fans rushed to get FM converters for their cars.

 I became aware of the power of FM when I was a boarding student at a
prep school in Woonsocket, RI in the mid-'60s.

I knew AM signals were directional but I was dumbfounded that WICE1290
in Providence was not audible 14 miles away day or night.