RIP Al Perry - former GM of WBCN

Rob Landry 011010001@interpring.com
Thu Nov 25 14:33:36 EST 2021

You are right; WCRB's Providence station was 101.5 not 94.1. They never
owned any AMs other than 1330 in Waltham.

I seem to recall that the Providence station was acquited from Mitch
Hastings (WXCN?) when Concert Network fell on hard times, only to be sole
some years later when CRB fell on hard times. It was largely pointless as
a WCRB simulcast because 102.5 covered Providence quite well.

> And WAQY was licensed to Springfield (as 102.1 remains today) and would have
> competed with Hartford's Concert Netwirk station, 105.9 WHCN.

According to Wikipedia, Charles River was WAQY's original owner, the
station signing on as WCRX in 1953. So, it would have been a direct
competitor to Mitch Hastings' WHCN in Hartford.

Rob