RIP Al Perry - former GM of WBCN

Rob Landry 011010001@interpring.com
Thu Nov 25 12:21:49 EST 2021

On Wed, 24 Nov 2021, A Joseph Ross wrote:

> College students never listened to classical?  I often did.  I also did
> classical music programs at WMUA when I was at UMass.  Around that time a
> radio station in Springfield or Hartford became a WCRB affiliate under the
> callsign WCRX.  And it was someone else on my corridor in the dorm who told
> me about it, so that I started listening.

Unless I'm mistaken, it afterwards became WAQY. It was co-owned with WCRB
and a station in Syracuse, NY whose call letters I have momentarily
forgotten (WONO?). There was also a Providence station -- 94.1?

Everything but the Waltham stations were sold when Charles River
Broadcasting fell on hard times. Later int he 1990s, CRB built a new
"empire" that included WFCC and WKPE on Cape Cod, WCRI on Block Island,
and WCNX 1180 AM in Hope Valley, RI.

Rob