Format changes, flankers, and the state of the industry today

Matthew Osborne mattosborne1976@yahoo.com
Thu Nov 4 20:11:22 EDT 2021

    On Thursday, November 4, 2021, 10:59:56 AM EDT, Rob Landry <011010001@interpring.com> wrote:
>It surprises me that Eyeheart would make WHAM their centerpiece, though, because news/talk
>is a format with no future.
I couldn't agree with you more, despite the fact WHAM has traditionally been the highest rated station in their Rochester cluster for some time now,.  The 25-54 demo of 2000 is now 46-75 years old, and little to no effort is being made to update that format to bring in any younger listeners.
>If Eyeheart is a publicly traded company, though, and I think it is, it will be under strong market
>pressure to mortgage the future for the present. That might be the answer to the riddle.
I suspect you are spot on here - nothing else seems to make any logical sense to me.

Matthew OsborneWest Sand Lake

 Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2021 13:58:25 +0000 (UTC)
From: Matthew Osborne <mattosborne1976@yahoo.com>
To: "boston-radio-interest@lists.bostonradio.org" <boston-radio-interest@lists.bostonradio.org>
Subject: Format changes, flankers, and the state of the industry today

> Is this what the radio industry has come to?  Where even the best and
> strongest signals in a market that used to stand completely on their
> own, are now seen as nothing more than low-budget flankers to another
> station in the market? Matthew OsborneWest Sand Lake, NY

It all boils down to dollars: how much does it cost, versus how much does
it bring in. It surprises me that Eyeheart would make WHAM their
centerpiece, though, because news/talk is a format with no future. Rush is
dead; the grumpy old white guys who were his audience are fast following
suit; what then?

If Eyeheart is a publicly traded company, though, and I think it is, it
will be under strong market pressure to mortgage the future for the
present. That might be the answer to the riddle.

Rob