Dave Bailey, WLLH

Mark Watson markwats@comcast.net
Wed Oct 21 21:31:20 EDT 2020

On 10/21/2020 3:21 PM Donna Halper wrote:
>In the autumn of 1976, there were regular ads in the Lowell Sun about the WLLH programming, and they included mention of Bailey hosting a "swap shop." That's where I got the information. At that point, WLLH was identifying itself as "Information Radio."

In the Fall of 1976, WLLH was still a top 40 station, with the positioner "Your Information Station". Dave Bailey was doing the 7:00 PM-12 Midnight shift Monday-Friday, with the Swap Shop from 7:00 to 7:30.  Dave Bailey left the station not long after this point in 1976 and was replaced by Mike Baltoumas, later shortening his on air name to Michael B. In early 1977 they shifted to more of a Hot AC format, still using the "Your Information Station" positioner. The Swap Shop was expanded to an hour and ran from 7:30 to 8:30 PM, followed by a 90 minute talk show "Dialogue 14" hosted by Roger Durkin. By Spring 1978 they flipped back to top 40 with newly hired PD Jack Diamond, with a new positioner "The AM Album Station". They would play the long versions of top 40 hits. The Swap Shop & Dialogue 14 shows were dropped. The AM Album Station was short lived, as Diamond was gone by early 1979, the album station positioner was dropped and they continued along with the top 40 format with Dan Guy as PD. They remained top 40 until the Spring of 1980, when they went AC with new PD Mike Colby.

Regarding the auction show Gary mentioned, I remember that weekly show, this was when they were Adult Standards (positioner "Music, Memories & More") by day and brokered Spanish at night. This was the format that ran until Arnold Lerner sold the station and it went Spanish.

Mark Watson