WBZ-AM Allston backup is no more

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Sat Oct 17 19:33:10 EDT 2020

I doubt they'll invest in a new off-site AM backup. Those are becoming
exceedingly rare, and especially now that iHeart doesn't own its own tower
sites, it becomes harder (or at least more expensive) for them to, say,
diplex a 10 kW WBZ signal into one WRKO tower.

But the need for an off-site backup is also less critical than it once was.
If AM 1030 goes off the air, there's still streaming and 107.9-HD2 and the
iHeart app. If it's an extended outage, there's 1200 or 680 or 97.7 that
could be pressed into service. The likelihood of an extended outage is
small. There are two redundant transmitters out at Hull and they'll likely
move the DX10 from Allston out there as a tertiary backup rig.

All that extensive tower work a few years ago that necessitated
semi-regular use of Allston was done for a reason: those 80-year-old towers
are now in solid shape for another generation. (And some of the switching
to Allston was as much just for convenience as out of necessity; much of
that work could have been done with one tower hot and the other grounded,
like you'd do at most AM DAs, but as long as Allston was there, why not use
it?)