WBZ-AM Allston backup is no more

A Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Fri Oct 16 16:28:45 EDT 2020

My family moved to Allston in the summer of 1949, when I was 4 1/2 years
old.  I do remember seeing the two towers at that time, though I didn't
know at first what they were.  I think both towers were probably erected
together, along with the WBZ building, which was erected to provide
television studios when WBZ-TV opened in 1948.  I think I remember
hearing on one of the WBZ-TV anniversary celebrations (mostly back when
Westinghouse was the owner) that WBZ-TV started out using temporary
studios somewhere until the Soldier's Field Road building was ready.  I
also remember seeing, in one of those anniversary specials, an excerpt
from remarks by Mayor James Michael Curley when the station went on the
air in June 1948.

My parents bought our first TV set sometime in the fall of 1949.  I
remember the day it was delivered, and when it was turned on, all that
was on was the test pattern, and then some sort of station sign-on (all
I remember from that was a "Westinghouse" sign, which I couldn't read at
the time, but they were still using it by the time I was able to read
it).  Then there came Kukla, Fran, and Ollie, which my father had seen
when he visited his brother in Connecticut, and then Howdy Doody.

We moved to Albany, NY just after Thanksgiving 1953 and moved back to
the Boston area in May 1957.  I remember Hurricane Carol.  It was the
first hurricane that I was aware of, and I remember seeing the wreckage
of the big WBZ-TV tower on TV in Albany.  When we came to Boston in the
spring to visit the grandparents, I remember seeing the stub of the
tower from up on the Commonwealth Avenue hill in Brighton.

--
A. Joseph Ross, J.D. · 1340 Centre Street, Suite 103 · Newton, MA 02459
617.367.0468 · http://www.attorneyross.com