The Mount Rushmore of Boston Radio

Alan Tolz atolz@comcast.net
Tue Mar 31 10:55:15 EDT 2020

Hi everyone,

I haven’t replied to any messages for a while but I’d like to chime in on this Mount Rushmore of Boston Radio premise.

1) Arnie Ginsberg - As an influencer and night-time DJ in an era when there were limited entertainment options, he was king among the “transistor radio under the pillow” demo.

2) Jerry Williams - I have a personal bias here (I co-authored his bio with Steve Elman) but even if I didn’t, I’d step back and see that he created the telephone - talk format in the early ‘50s, brought it to Boston in 1957 and immediately had 50+ shares of audience when there was NO late-night TV.
He was an activist, using radio to generate political change in varying degrees for 40+ years off and on in Massachusetts from Boston radio stations.

3) Mac Richmond - He’s how and why the “top two” got their start in Boston radio as co-owner of WMEX.

4) Charles Laquidara - as a creative genius and DJ during the early and salad years of WBCN, the Boston radio station that defined a generation.  All things BCN flowed from Charles on down, including Oedipus, who was originally an intern on Charles’ “Big Mattress”.

There are others worthy of the “4” spot...Gary LaPierre, Matt Seigel, Dan Griffin, Clark Smidt, Alan Dary, Larry Glick...but it seems that when radio in a post-TV world was king, these four either defined it, created its content, and/or owned and operated it better than anyone else in Boston.

Sent from an I-thing