WMEX separate programming May 4

Bob Nelson raccoonradio@gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 10:01:38 EDT 2020

The following appeared on Facebook in the
Remembering WMEX group
Separate Programming on the New Quincy/Boston WMEX-AM 1510 Now Delayed to
Monday, May 4, Due to Coronavirus Emergency.

Meanwhile, WMEX Will Simulcast 95.9 WATD-FM, “The South Shore’s Radio
Station.”

Ed Perry - Owner of WMEX, WATD in Marshfield, and WBMS in Brockton - Says
Simulcasting will Help “Create for WMEX a Local News and Public Service
Infrastructure”

BOSTON - Separate WMEX 1510-AM Quincy/Boston programming, similar to the
station’s rock ‘n’ roll and local talk heydays of the 50s, 60s and 70s, has
been pushed back to Monday, May 4. Between now and then, WMEX will
simulcast its sister station, 95.9-FM WATD, Marshfield, with its
multiple-award-winning local news and information infrastructure.

The following statement was issued on Tuesday, March 17, by Ed Perry, owner
of WMEX, WATD, and the new WBMS, 640-AM and 101.1-FM in Brockton:

Here's an update on the schedule for getting WMEX officially on the air
with its oldies format and local info for the north end of the South Shore.

We originally scheduled the turn-on date as March 9, but that was postponed
for two weeks until next Monday, March 23, due to the Coronavirus issues.
Unfortunately those issues have expanded substantially creating the need to
once again delay the WMEX transition to separate programming. While the
oldies format would certainly be memorable and entertaining, it's very
difficult to instantly include all the important information regarding the
virus which we're now providing in our simulcast of WATD-FM.

The new date for switching WMEX to separate programming is now Monday, May
4. This will allow us to create both a local news and public service
infrastructure which will provide much needed information to residents of
Quincy, Braintree, Randolph, Milton, Canton and perhaps a dozen more
communities where the WMEX signal will be that of a local station. However,
prior to May 4, as we gather information from those communities, we'll add
it to the WATD-FM programming and simulcast that programming on WMEX.

I'm sorry about the delay in getting WMEX back on the air with its original
format, but it needs to provide its listeners not only with great music but
with important community news and information. The extra six weeks of
simulcasting WATD-FM will make that goal possible.

Thanks again for all your help in getting both WBMS (Brockton) and WMEX
back on the air and for continuing to make WATD-FM “The South Shore's Radio
Station.”