Joe Smith

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Tue Jul 28 20:58:02 EDT 2020

On 7/28/2020 4:46 PM, Paul Currier wrote:
> I recall a discussion on this list years ago about Joe Smith being on WMEX or not.   I think it was never resolved.

I can help Dennis to resolve it. Yes, Joe Smith did spend a few months
at WMEX, in 1958.  Smith, the pride of Chelsea High School, was a
popular deejay on WVDA in the mid-1950s. That station became WEZE when
Vic Diehm sold it, and Smith left in early January 1958.  About a month
or so later, he joined the new WMEX (which was bought by Mac Richmond in
late 1957).  According to newspaper reports, he first did his show on
tape because he was in New York working for a record production company.
He stopped working at WMEX in December 1958 to join the new WILD.
(Boston had a lot of format changes, as rock and roll took over the
airwaves and some of the older M-O-R stations struggled to find a niche.)

--
Donna L. Halper, PhD
Associate Professor of Communication & Media Studies