Dan Strassberg

Martin Waters martinjwaters@yahoo.com
Sat Feb 15 05:19:59 EST 2020

     Dan Strassberg died in 2018. He was 83. I just found a tribute article about him on the EDN Website. It's the continuing online version of what used to be Electrical Design News magazine, which is in Cambridge. Dan was a senior editor there. Read it at: https://www.edn.com/memories-of-dan-strassberg/   I did not find a regular death notice online
  I only met Dan once in person, although we enjoyed a one-to-one email correspondence for a long time in addition to posting back-and-forth posts here. I met him for lunch in Scituate, my hometown, about 10 or 15 years ago. A good person to get to know, even a little, and a nice afternoon. We took a tour of the former transmitter site of the commercial shortwave station whose last calls when it was in Scituate were WNYW (New York Worldwide). It was moved to Florida in 1973.
    As others have noted, Dan was brilliant about many aspects of radio. I remember feeling well complemented by him once. When 850 kHz in Boston was still WHDH, I wrote a note to Dan one day in which I mentioned that when they changed to the night pattern it sounded like more power was being aimed at Scituate than in the daytime. He quickly wrote back that I had a really good ear because it was true, but only slightly. And I got the idea that he didn't have to look it up. He must have just had the WHDH patterns imprinted on his brain. RIP, Dan Strassberg.