WATD(AM) now WBMS

Rob Landry 011010001@interpring.com
Wed Mar 6 09:42:44 EST 2019

Oh, wow. I never knew there was a WHEE in Boston.

In the late 1980's and 1990's did some work for WILD, mostly as a stand-in
for Grady Moates when he was out of town, and mostly at the old Medford
transmitter site on Corporation Way (which road no longer exists).

There was an ancient FM antenna on the old tower tuned to 104.1, left over
from an abortive attempt at a WBMS-FM. This FM was, I was told, on the air
only briefly before it was shut down as unprofitable and the license
surrendered. It was not related to the future WBCN, even if the frequency
was the same.

Also present at the Medford site in the 1990's was the shell of an old
Western Electric (1 KW, I think) transmitter, used as a storage cabinet.
Somewhere at home I have a book with schematics of the same model
transmitter; unless I misremember it consisted of a low level exciter that
fed a fully modulated signal to a 1 KW linear RF amplifier. I have never
come across a design like that in any other transmitter; I can only assume
it was to eliminate the need for a big modulation transformer.

WILD used a Gates BC5P2 transmitter which Grady had hot-rodded to produce
both supermodulation and extraordinary fidelity; he fed it with an audio
processor of his own design, and the result was something that on one of
my wide band radios at home sounded louder than WBZ and almost
indistinguishable from FM.

The BC5P2 was eventually replaced after Grady walked into owner Ken Nash's
office one day to show him the lengths he had to go to get replacement
tubes. The tube he showed Mr. Nash was stamped "Made in USSR". I never saw
the replacement transmitter and don't remember what it was.

In its last years, the Medford tower was used for nighttime ham radio
experiments in the 160-meter (1800 KHz) band, Grady having built a custom
matching network for a friend of his, Michael J. Klein, who was a ham.

Rob