Clif and Claf and WITS - Was WSMN (Was: Re: Call Letters Meaning on Wikipedia

A Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Tue Jun 18 01:07:44 EDT 2019

And WMEX/WITS got the radio contract around the same time that WSBK 38
got the Red Sox television contract.  At the time, where my parents
lived in Bedford, neither station came in particularly well.  My father,
who was the baseball fan in the family, wondered why a big league team
was dealing with minor-league stations.

When I was in law school, I was driving home one night, listening to
WMEX on the car radio, and just as I turned off the main road to the
residential streets where we lived, the signal faded out.  I also used
to have trouble listening to Arnie's Night Train show.

On 6/17/2019 2:32 AM, Kevin Vahey wrote:
> The show came to be when Steve Fredricks was offered a job at his hometown
> WCAU in Philadelphia.
>
> The station was still operating from the WMEX transmitter site in North
> Quincy ( the move to Waltham was around 1980 )
>
> WMEX only got the Red Sox contract because Tom Yawkey was angered in 1975
> when WHDH went to a soft Top 40 format and he called WMEX ( who for years
> was his tenant at 70 Brookline Ave ) to see if they wanted the Red Sox
> contract starting with the 1975 playoffs as long as they would switch the
> format to MOR. Dick Richmond said yes knowing the station's value
> skyrocketed overnight with the Red Sox deal.
>
> WMEX almost got Jess Cain to do mornings until Blair Radio who now owned
> WHDH offered Jess a blank check.
>
> Dick Richmond then sold WMEX to Cincinnati based Mariner Communications (
> who owned WLW ) and the Ohio people had no clue about how bad the 1510
> night signal was. This was the era when Boston baseball fans discovered
> WWEL at 107.9 who carried the 1510 signal at night.
>
> Meanwhile, Clif and Claf became the extended Red Sox pregame show and it
> was outrageous radio for the 70's.
>
> The postgame Red Sox show was hosted by a young Glenn Ordway and it was
> vicious.

>> I remember hearing promost citing the W as standing for weather......as in
>> Weather, Information, Talk, Sports.

A. Joseph Ross, J.D. · 1340 Centre Street, Suite 103 · Newton, MA 02459
617.367.0468 · Fax:617.507.7856 · http://www.attorneyross.com