WCAP On The Move, WLLH Lowell Going Dark?

Kevin Vahey kvahey@gmail.com
Sun Jun 16 20:43:03 EDT 2019

CBS first used Norelco's at Studio 50 but switched to Marconi and that did
not address the issue.

The Marconi Mark VII's always had a washed out look as it was a 4 tube
design. WXPO got the cameras at a discount as the new RCA TK-44 which was a
3 tube plumbicon Norelco clone and RCA was promising a quick delivery. WSMW
in Worcester went that route and the cameras were fine.

WXPO had other issues including a transmitter location that was suspect and
by the time the Chief Engineer was replaced there was no money left to fix
the issues.

A major part of the station's plan was to become a local production house
for commercials but the RF issues made that impossible as other stations
refused to air commercials taped in Lowell.

http://eyesofageneration.com/the-heart-of-the-magnetic-field-problems-for-cbs-studio-50in-one-of-todays-ea/