720 AM broadcaster in Creole

Eli Polonsky elipolo881@gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 13:13:21 EST 2019

The signal we're hearing on 720 AM in this area is coming from a pirate
somewhere around the Dorchester/Mattapan/Hyde Park area. The signal becomes
stronger around those areas. It has been on the air for several years.

The fringe of it can be heard for several miles around, even past Route 128
(such as in Wellesley), but not much farther. It's not the VOA skipping up
here.

I haven't listened long enough to hear any ID or whether it's relaying VOA.
What I've heard has sounded like Creole religious programming. The
production I've heard has not sounded professional, more like just a mic on
inside a local church picking up preachers and choirs with echo and ambient
noise. At other times (possibly when the church may not be active) I may
have heard recorded Gospel music perhaps in Creole.

It's not in C-Quam or any kind of AM stereo, in fact the audio quality is
poor.

EP