Gary LaPierre, Legendary Broadcaster At WBZ NewsRadio, Dies At 76

Ted Larsen tlmedia9@gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 21:37:06 EST 2019

Thanks Ben. What a wonderful story.
On 2/5/2019 9:03:23 PM, Ben Levy <lostcluster@lostcluster.me> wrote:
Gary indeed welcomed me to the world and New England as I moved around… I have a lot of memories of him, including school visits and his participation in the one-day WCBS replacement called WNYX. He even did an interactive reading of the 7am news for me and my dad while we were driving to Woburn, which most days we didn’t realize he was listening to us. That summer, he and the rest of WBZ even trained David Laurence’s daughter how to read morning news for CNET Radio’s short-lived existance.

We’re starting to see a generational change at WBZ… with Josh Binswanger from Kid Company taking Gary’s time slot, and many of the feature reporters form the 90s not there anymore. WBZ could use some new features… maybe Binswanger could start an “… On The Loose”-style feature.

My favorite moments on-air with Gary was when he would introduce me as the expert in both the #1 and #2 stories, and then I would quip “Hey Gary, read a story that doesn’t involve me!”… it lead to a reorganizing of the time wheel to get the third story in, but it was funny enough to pass the manager’s approval. He had me as an expert in game shows such as Double Dare in order to set up a slot to rip against Fun House.

Another great one broadcasting up there where out antennas don’t reach…

Ben