WATD and WMEX

Eli Polonsky elipolo881@gmail.com
Tue Dec 3 02:11:16 EST 2019

On Tue, Dec 3, 2019 at 12:26 AM Martin Waters <martinjwaters@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>     I guess I have not followed Mr. Perry's efforts closely enough, as I
> don't understand why the two AM stations are going to have such pipsqueak
> nighttime signals -- 100 watts on 1510 and 30 watts on 1460. WMEX used to
> run 50 kW days, 5 kW nights from essentially the same location in Quincy.
> And, IIRC, good 'ole WBET used to be 1 kW at night.

The original WMEX could run 50 kW days and 5 kW nights from about the same
location because it was highly directional. It beamed mostly north, into
Boston, and into northern New England, especially up the coast. It could be
heard well up the Maine coast and in Nova Scotia both day and night, but
was weak by day and inaudible at night in Framingham.

Ed Perry's WMEX is non-directional, requiring much less power at night
under still-current FCC restrictions. Ed doesn't want the expense of
constructing and maintaining a directional antenna system. I doubt the
original directional WMEX sent much more than 100 watts west/southwest at
night though 5 kW was going up the New England coast and out to sea.

EP