DX-ing Canada

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Wed Apr 10 23:54:34 EDT 2019

Garrett wrote--
> According to the Canadian Communications Foundation's database, CKOY
> (as it was in the relevant era) upgraded to 50 kW in the early 1960s.
> Under the bilateral frequency coordination arrangements at the time, I
> believe the FCC would have demanded that CKOY protect the US border at
> the same electric field intensity as the old 5-kW facility (whereas a
> new station on 1310 would only have required contour protection).

This may not be entirely relevant, but when I was growing up in the 50s
and 60s, the AM band was  still a DX'er paradise.  In high school, I was
especially grateful for the Canadian stations that came into Boston at
night, especially CKAC (say-ker-ah-say) in Montreal. I was able to
improve my French-- very useful for me in high school-- because CKAC
broadcast baseball and hockey, and I learned all sorts of sports
expressions.  CKAC came in loud and clear at night, as I recall-- it was
at 730 on the dial...  I occasionally was able to get stations from
Sherbrooke or other cities in Québec, but CKAC came in the best.

--
Donna L. Halper, PhD
Associate Professor of Communication & Media Studies