DX-ing Canada

Garrett Wollman wollman@bimajority.org
Wed Apr 10 22:51:24 EDT 2019

<<On Wed, 10 Apr 2019 11:31:39 +0000 (UTC), Ed Hennessy <ehennessy@verizon.net> said:

> Yeah, they're the only Canadian station on 1310, but they're not one
> of those newer stations with the directional nightmare arrays.  A
> search tells me they've been on the air since 1922, and landed on
> 1310 in 1941 (presumably as a result of the NARBA shuffle).

Yes, but CKCO (as it was then) would have been limited to 5 kW under
NARBA.

According to the Canadian Communications Foundation's database, CKOY
(as it was in the relevant era) upgraded to 50 kW in the early 1960s.
Under the bilateral frequency coordination arrangements at the time, I
believe the FCC would have demanded that CKOY protect the US border at
the same electric field intensity as the old 5-kW facility (whereas a
new station on 1310 would only have required contour protection).

-GAWollman