GMC mobile studios

billohno@gmail.com billohno@gmail.com
Sat Sep 29 15:52:10 EDT 2018

> On Sep 28, 2018, at 8:56 PM, Bill Smith <bill.smith@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> CAP Remotes were wicked fun in the newsroom when the Cohen brothers  were
> tuning the Marti feed from the GMC ("The Unit"). That's where the base
> 2-way was, conveniently located with audio aimed at the booth.
>
> Sometimes the traffic over KCG 492 would become tense as the boys struggled
> for the best shot,  but BillO's tests were quite amusing since his inside
> joke patter went far over the CoBros heads

Yes, Bill Smith, there were certainly some memorable moments. <harp sfx> Ike had this presumably unintentionally humorous habit that dated back to his WHN days of testing mics with “woof!” I never quite adopted that technique.

I miss the avocado floral decor, all safely ensconced in industrial strength clear plastic.

I miss the Bogen external speaker amplifier that when potted beyond 4/10 would deliver enough “Eres Tu” by Mocedades through the cone speakers to peel paint a block away.

I miss Ike and Maurice Cohen, and, sadly, later, just Maurice, who would sit quietly in “the unit” often hours on end at remotes, just taking it all in. And as easy a target that the brothers were, perhaps oddly out of time, I could never join in at taking aim. Still can’t.

Lots of memories, indeed, from “Red Dot Weekends”, song “28” (methinks) on the jukebox downstairs at Cappy’s dedicated to every staffer’s last day, and CRBS.

Bill O’Neill